Monday 8 April 2013

Pumpkin festival - What fun

Yesterday was the annual pumpkin festival in our area and as you can see there were a lot of fun entries. Mine is the tiny one on top of the VERY large one. I cheated a bit because mine is actually a SOAP. But hey they didn't specify that it had to be edible!

pumpkin market 027.R. JPG

See here how I made the soap:

I decided to make a a mould for my pumpkin soap as I did not have time to search for one. I used a plastic pumpkin that I had bought last year for a photo prop. I am glad it came in handy again.

I used a different product to make my mould this time. It is something called Flexy Fast moulding putty and you can buy it from Bramble berry. I have to say it is not the easiest stuff to work with and OMG is it sticky. I think I read somewhere that I should not use silicone gloves. So with this in mind I used silicone gloves. What a mess.

DSCN0001 (2)DSCN0001 (3)DSCN0002 (3)

The cute little pumpkin that I based my mould on. Mixing part A and part B

DSCN0003 (2)DSCN0006 (2)DSCN0008 (2)

Mixing and mixing then realising it was really sticking to the gloves.

DSCN0009 (2)DSCN0010 (2)DSCN0011 (2)

No way was I going to waste it so I took an old knife and scraped it all off the gloves.

DSCN0014 (2)DSCN0015 (2)DSCN0016 (2)

The knife worked so well I decided to use it to mix with, so I scraped it all onto a piece of brown paper and mixed away. Much easier.

DSCN0017 (2)DSCN0020 (2)DSCN0021 (2)

I then used the knife to spread it onto the plastic pumpkin and then I moulded it so it was evenly distributed.

DSCN0001 (7)DSCN0022 (2)DSCN0023 (2)

I left a hole at the top - which would be the bottom of the pumpkin when made up.

P1250588

I have to say this was fun but pretty messy. I am sure I probably did something wrong - hence the mess. But all's well that ends well.

You can also see my other mould making escapades here, here and here. There are also some textured moulds here 

Pin It!

Riverlea Soap

2 comments:

  1. What a job! Hey you now have darling pumpkin mold. I prefer the method you used in the first link. I've done both but the marine silicone is my favorite for me more accurate a mold is the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little pumpkin soap! I thought it was the real thing. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...