Monday 18 March 2013

Mantra Swirl - the tools - a tutorial

Last week I posted about my difficulties trying to make a pretty Mantra swirl soap. I like to think I am a "fixer" of sorts and will always try to find a more efficient way to do something. So I decided to see what I could devise that would make my life easier but also result in a pretty soap. This week I will show you what I came up with.

I love this technique so I really wanted to make it work.

DSCN0022

 

These are the tools/ props I used:

  • Cheap, thin chopping board - you do get thick ones but they are hard to cut
  • Hacksaw
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Epoxy glue( if your mould is smaller than mine and the board bigger then you may not need the epoxy)
  • Correx or cardboard

DSCN0004-001DSCN0032-001DSCN0001 (2)-001

Method:

One: Measure your mould and make sure the chopping board is big enough to fit inside it. Mine was the right size if I cut it in half lengthwise

Two: Draw a line with the pencil along the board where you want to cut it

Three: Use the hacksaw to cut carefully along the line until the board is in 2 pieces

DSCN0002 (2)-001DSCN0039-001DSCN0033-001

Four: Because the cut out handle made my board too short in one section I needed to "fill" the section in so that I had a rectangle with a "lip/ handle" on one side. The lip was not planned but the board was too long so i thought it would be good the have this lip to "hang" over the edge of the mould (you can see this below right). The actual board was too long so I cut the extra off. (middle photo above)

Five: Cut the Extra section out and fit it into handle area (above right and below left)

DSCN0034-001DSCN0037-001DSCN0002 (2)

Six: Fit the cut out board into the main board (above middle). Epoxy in place

Seven: Once dry, cut the excess so that you now have a complete rectangle with 90 degrees.

Eight:: Place your cut chopping board dividers into your lined mould and measure how far apart you want them to be spaced

Nine: Take your cardboard or Correx and cut pieces the size of the gaps you want and place/ wedge them into the sides holding your chopping board dividers in place ensuring they don't move. Ideally you want even spacing between your boards - as I only had one chopping board I could only make 2 dividers but in reality I needed 3 so that I had 4 cavities to fill with soap. So you can see the gap in the middle is bigger than the two on the sides.I also ran out of Correx so I used a piece of cardboard in the larger middle section... nothing goes according to plan. Well actually there wasn't much of a plan so what could I expect!

DSCN0003DSCN0002

So now you have your mould ready and the dividers are standing up on their own, you can make Mantra swirl soap to your hearts content with ease.

DSCN0013DSCN0017DSCN0020DSCN0021DSCN0022DSCN0023

Pin It!

Riverlea Soap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...