Monday 27 February 2012

Making Vintage Rose soaps–Part 2

Vintage rose collection (2)
Last week I posted part 1 of this little journey. The two biggest problems in this exercise, in my experience, were wastage and inability to hold the slippery bag while trying to tie the elastic band. So a cunning plan was born. Firstly I had to make the bottom of the bag take on the rounded shape and lose it’s corners. I put a round bottle into the bag and taped the corners so that it rested with a flat base. Then I took an old lotion bottle, cut the bottom off and inserted the neck of the bottle into he plastic bag and taped the bag to the bottle. Next I cut holes in the sides of the bottle and slid a plastic swizzle stick into the holes. I then put elastic around either side of the swizzle stick and hooked it onto a rod suspended over my lab sink. Very complicated. All ready to go! I got kitted up in my safety gear and I made the soap mix again as per normal Cold process soap and got ready to pour. I couldn’t take the chance that the sink was good enough so I also put a jug under the bag – in case! What was I thinking? I must have jinxed it – that bag SPLIT. 
Vintage rounds  (1)   Vintage rounds  (4)

Good thing I was prepared so I ripped off the broken -bag and re-taped a new one and was ready to go again.
Vintage rounds  (2)Vintage rounds  (3)Vintage rounds  (4)Vintage rounds  (5)
This time I changed the position of the elastic, hook and rod. The bag had a small hole in it but fortunately the soap was really thick so it plugged the hole fairly quickly. I definitely had MUCH less wastage due to the shaped base and no creasing on top. I am still not convinced that this is easier. The stress is too much to handle wondering if the bag will split and the rounds are not as round as I would like. So I am still on the hunt for an easy way to make round soaps. Any hints, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Vintage rose collection (1)

Pin It!
Riverlea Soap





4 comments:

  1. PVC Pipe or Pampered Chef molds darling.... have seen some DARLING round soaps here done by pouring your soap into capped PVC pipe! Here we can buy PVC at hardware stores in the plumbing department.... there?
    Light and Love
    Jan Pace
    Power Of Three Creations
    Fallbrook, California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your site. I've become a new fan of yours on FB too. You web site is so cute! Is this a template or did someone create it for you? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang tight -we're designing a custom fit round liner to go inside a PVC pipe that fits snugly with no wrinkles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay. Thanks Anne Marie. I also tried Silicone BUT as you have probably guessed - it stuck to the PVC and was a little hard to get out. Glad to have you come to my rescue!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...