Monday 20 February 2012

Making Vintage Rose soaps–Part 1

Vintage rounds  (16) 

Amanda Griffin from Lovin Soap shared this post about making round soaps in a bag. I decided this was a great idea but really thought there would be an easier way to do it. Thus began my slippery, not so successful journey of the soap round!
If you have ever tried to make round soaps I am sure you have tried every imaginable mould like the down pipe, otherwise known as PVC, Pringles crisp container and many more! My biggest problem with the PVC pipe was trying to get the soap out afterwards. I am not the strongest weight lifter in the gym so pushing, pulling, prodding and hitting with a hammer for many hours just was not a smart way to spend my time. So this way seemed really easy. Not so. I mixed my oils and my pre-prepared Sodium Hydroxide as you would for making Cold Process soap. I added my colour, I used a small amount of burgundy pigment, mixed to light trace and added my essential oil. I already had my plastic bag and funnel ready to pour the soap into the bag.

Vintage rounds  (14)   Vintage rounds  (13)Vintage rounds  (12)   Vintage rounds  (8)Vintage rounds  (10)   Vintage rounds  (9)Vintage rounds  (11)

This is now where I thought I would be clever. I had already practised with water. I took a 2L water bottle, cut the bottom off, fed the plastic bag thought the mouth and fastened with an elastic band. Then poured the water into the bottle and as it rose closer to the top I realised I would have a LOT of wastage. The soap at the bottom of the bag takes on the shape of the bag and sits in the corners and the top of the bag creases where it has to fit into the smaller neck of the bottle. So back to the drawing board.

Vintage rounds  (1)
I had no more smart ideas so I decided to wing it. I took the funnel and held it in the plastic bag and poured the soap. No photos of that as my hands were a little full. This is where disaster struck. Soap mix ix very slippery and with gloves you really don’t have much grip at all. Yes you guessed it – I dropped the bag. This is the rug in the lab just in case I have soapy accidents such as this one and it is ready for the wash. I really would have like a pic of the soapy mess but I was too busy cleaning up. This is a perfect time to remind you about safety and soap making. ALWAYS wear gloves, goggles and a protective garment and definitely closed shoes.
Vintage rounds  (16)
So here is the poured, gelled soap hanging. You can see how there is a lot of waste on the top and bottom.

Look closely at the pink soap below, it looks streaky. Do you remember the bag I tested with water first? Make sure it is properly dry before you decide to pour soap into it.

More next week on this soapy journey. A cunning plan on how to minimise the wastage.

Riverlea Soap

1 comment:

  1. I bought some specialty 2.5" PVC pipe right before I heard about using these bags. But then I thought as you did that there is a lot wasted at the bottom and top of the bag. Yesterday, my daughter & I made some soap in a 3" PVC pipe, but I lined it with freezer paper, so today I get to unmold & see how it went!

    I'll be anxious to see your part 2 to this topic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...